When to Go
High Season (May–Aug)
- Prepare for summer downpours and crowds at traveller hot spots.
- Accommodation prices peak during the first week of the May holiday period.
Shoulder (Feb–Apr, Sep & Oct)
- Expect warmer days in spring, cooler days in autumn.
- In the north this is the optimal season, with fresh weather and clear skies.
- Accommodation prices peak during holidays in early October.
Low Season (Nov–Feb)
- Domestic tourism is at a low ebb, but things are busy and expensive for Chinese New Year.
- Weather is bitterly cold in the north and at altitude, and only warm in the far south.