Hong Kong in detail
Best places to stay in Hong Kong
- Peninsula Hong Kong World-class luxury and colonial elegance at the harbour end of Tsim Sha Tsui.
- Tuve A tiny paradise for design fans in a pleasant neighbourhood full of restaurants.
- Hotel Indigo Large, colourful rooms, attentive staff and a fabulous bar in a lively part of Wan Chai.
- Mojo Nomad Flashy Aberdeen hostel with harbour views, organised activities and cool design.
- Upper House A Zen-like atmosphere, yoga on the lawn and warm service overlooking the hills in Admiralty.
- Jervois Elegant, spacious and bang in the middle of trendy Sheung Wan.
By Budget: $
- Hop Inn on Carnavon Local art murals, sofas and a beer fridge sum up this Kowloon hostel.
- Campus Hong Kong Live like royalty in a student hostel (if you manage to book a room, that is) in Tsuen Wan.
- Mojo Nomad Magnificent water views complemented by offbeat design.
- Helena May Simple heritage rooms (some female-only) in a Central institution.
- SLEEEP Eco-conscious capsule hotel with just eight beds and fancy gadgets in an expensive area.
- Mini Hotel Central Tiny rooms but plush lounge and hard-to-beat location slap bang in the middle of Central.
By Budget: $$
- Twenty One Whitfield Clean, bright rooms available for daily and monthly stays in Tin Hau.
- Tuve Sleek, industrial-chic rooms, an artsy reception area, and helpful staff in Tin Hau.
- 99 Bonham From the same local team as the Jervois; impeccable taste in a great location.
- Hotel Jen The best deal on Hong Kong Island with a rooftop pool, in a pleasingly local area.
- Little Tai Hang Charming hotel with Scandi-style furnishings in an equally charming neighbourhood.
By Budget: $$$
- Peninsula Hong Kong One of the most elegant and richly storied hotels in Asia.
- Hotel Indigo Chinese-inspired design, state-of-the-art facilities and exceptional service make this a winner.
- Hotel Icon Affordable luxury with a rooftop pool.
- Murray Hotel A pioneering luxury reinvention of a heritage building in Central.
- Fleming An updated classic, with design flourishes that mimic Hong Kong's beloved retro ferries.
- MGM Cotai Eye-catching design, duplex sky-lofts and private villas in a Macau casino complex.
- Tuve It's all about design here, from the beds to the soft-drink bottles in the mini-fridge.
- W Hong Kong Fanciful urban aesthetics that are almost too cool for school – almost.
- Madera Hong Kong Boldly coloured, whimsical decor reminiscent of the movie sets of Pedro Almodóvar.
- Mira Moon Taking a famous Chinese legend to new and creative heights.
- Landmark Mandarin Oriental The subtle elegance associated with the Mandarin Oriental name infuses every nook and corner.
- SLEEEP Hong Kong's first capsule hotel has won design awards for its eco cred and high-tech gadgets.
- Lan Kwai Fong Hotel Chinese uniforms, dark wood carvings and silk furnishings.
- Hotel Indigo Accented with odes to Wan Chai, Hong Kong pop culture and Chinese design.
- Mandarin Oriental The original MO, and the grande dame of oriental hotel design.
- Mira Moon Rooms whimsically themed around a Chinese fairy-tale.
- Pottinger Old sepia photos of Hong Kong adorn the walls; contemporary Chinese furniture decorates the rooms.