A survey of the old town’s history; sadly, most of the captions are in Chinese only.
Restored fragments of the city wall lie along the south bank of the Tuó River. Carvings of fish and mythical beasts adorn the eaves of the North Gate Tower, one of four original main gates. Another, the East Gate To…
West of East Gate Tower. Built in 1836, its exterior is covered with slogans from the Cultural Revolution. There are two lovely black-and-white frescoes of mythical animals on the rear walls of the main hall.
This Qing-dynasty twin-eaved tower dates from 1715.
In the style of the Dòng minority’s wind and rain bridges, this attractive bridge vaults the waters of the Tuó River and is illuminated at night. Like some other sights in Fènghuáng, it's best viewed from a distance…
Secreted away on Huilong Ge, a narrow alley. The temple is inscribed with the characters 準提庵 above the door, identifying it as a former nunnery.
Great views of town, colourfully carved dragons, and thousands of lucky charms await up stone steps.
The famous modern novelist was born here in 1902. (His tomb is east of town.) His most famous novel – Border Town (边城) – is sold all across town.
This 18th-century walled temple and shrine to the celebrated sage is now a middle school.
Features an ancient theatrical stage and hall, and is now home to a silver-forging training centre.