Watching films based in Central Europe can provide background for an upcoming trip.
- Goodbye Lenin (2003) Comedy set in East Berlin; when a girl awakes from a coma postcommunism, her family pretends the Wall never fell.
- The Sound of Music (1965) Sure, you've seen it, but you need to practise your lines before prancing around Salzburg.
- Schindler's List (1993) The film to see about the Holocaust.
- Kafka (1991) Not much to do with the real Kafka, but Prague and its castle look beautiful in this black-and-white writer's mystery.
- Latcho Drom (1993) Haunting musical documentary following the historical migration of the Roma into modern-day Central Europe.
- The Third Man (1939) Trying to find some remnants of post-WWII Vienna will become an obsession after this great film noir by Carol Reed.