With so many cultural capitals, it’s easy to follow in the footsteps of a favourite author or musician. Read or listen to their works as you experience their home cities.
- Salzburg, Austria Native son Wolfgang Mozart’s music resonates in all corners of this Austrian Alpine town – as does The Sound of Music
- Weimar, Germany Bach, Liszt, Goethe and Nietzsche were just some of the luminaries who lived and worked here
- Prague, Czech Republic Postmodern authors Milan Kundera and Franz Kafka both left their mark on the Old Town streets of Prague
- Warsaw, Poland Nobel Laureate and poet Czeslaw Milosz spent WWII attending underground lectures in Poland’s capital city
- Vienna, Austria As the cultural capital of the Austro-Hungarian empire, Vienna attracted the likes of Ludwig van Beethoven, Joseph Haydn and Béla Bartók; their classical music can still be heard at venues today