go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Working and volunteering


EU, Norway and Iceland nationals are allowed to work anywhere in Spain (including the Canary Islands) without a visa, but if they plan to stay more than three months they are supposed to apply within the first month for a residence card. Virtually everyone else is supposed to obtain (from a Spanish consulate in their country of residence) a work permit and, if they plan to stay more than 90 days, a residence visa. While jobs (especially in tourist resorts) aren’t that hard to come by, the procedures necessary to get your paperwork in order can be difficult and time-consuming.

Want to Live & Work in Canary Islands Teaching English? Partner Content

If you’d like to spend more time in Canary Islands than a vacation allows, experiencing what it’s like to live and make a difference to the local community, it’s all possible by Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) with i-to-i TEFL. No previous teaching experience or local language knowledge is necessary. Get your free i-to-i TEFL e-book now to find out more about TEFL, what TEFL jobs are available and how it can get you exploring the globe...

Get your free TEFL e-book and find out how to start a new life in Canary Islands