Canadian dollar ($)
Budget: Less than $100
- Dorm bed: $30–45
- Campsite: $25–40
- Food court or street-food-vendor lunch: $8–10
- Transit day pass: $5–10
- En suite standard hotel room: $150–200
- Meal in midrange local restaurant (excluding drinks): $15–25
- Admission to top local attraction: $15–30
- Two drinks in local pub: $15–20
Top End: More than $300
- Boutique hotel or posh B&B: $250
- Three-course meal in good restaurant (excluding drinks): $75
- Car hire: up to $75 per day
- Ski day pass: $60–100
Bargaining is not typical when shopping in this part of the world, though it may work with smaller independent retailers or at flea markets.
ATMs widely available. Credit cards accepted in most hotels and restaurants.
ATMs are common throughout BC, Alberta and the larger towns of the Yukon. Canadian ATM fees are generally low, but your bank at home may also charge a fee.
The Canadian dollar ($) is divided into 100 cents (¢). Coins come in 5¢ (nickel), 10¢ (dime), 25¢ (quarter), $1 (loonie) and $2 (toonie) pieces. Notes come in $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 denominations; $100 bills can prove difficult to cash. There are no 2¢ or 1¢ coins. Bills are rounded up or down to the nearest 5¢.
Credit and debit cards are almost universally accepted; in fact, you’ll find it hard or impossible to rent a car, book a room or buy tickets online or over the phone without one.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
- Currency-exchange counters are located at international airports such as Vancouver and Calgary. Exchange offices are common in bigger towns, cities and in tourist destinations such as Whistler and Banff.
- Larger banks may exchange currency, and rates are usually better.
- US dollars are often accepted by businesses at larger tourist towns such as Victoria and Whistler, especially in gift shops, but rates typically are not favorable.
Tipping is expected in Canada. Typical rates:
- Bar servers $1 per drink
- Hotel bellhops $1 to $2 per bag
- Hotel room cleaners $2 per day
- Restaurant wait staff 15%
- Taxi drivers 10% to 15%