Dangers & Annoyances
Wildfires in summer are becoming more and more of an issue as the planet warms and may affect your travels in NWT. One particularly useful website is firesmoke.ca, which shows problem spots and provides forecasts of the direction of smoke.
As of October 2018, cannabis for recreational use is legal in the Northwest Territories.
- You must be 19 years or older
- You may only buy from licensed retailers
- You may only carry up to 30g
- You may grow up to four plants per household
- Cannabis use is restricted to private property and is prohibited around children or at public events
- You may not drive impaired
If getting a local SIM card for your cell phone, the networks with the best coverage of NWT are Telus or Bell.
Valleyview Visitor Information Center is a helpful, well-stocked information center, just south of Valleyview, Alberta. It makes an excellent stop for anyone driving up from there into the Northwest Territories.