When to go and weather
High Season (Jul & Aug)
- July and August are the busiest months.
- Mainly warm weather and sunny skies, but be prepared for sudden thunderstorms.
- Trail closures and hiking restrictions during buffaloberry season (mid-July onwards).
Shoulder Season (May, Jun, Sep & Oct)
- Spring comes late, with snow lingering until May or June.
- Many lakes are frozen and some trails remain closed until early summer.
- June is the wettest month in Banff and Jasper.
Low Season (Nov-Apr)
- Late March to May is the quietest season.
- Accommodations can be cheap, but many campgrounds, trails and activities are closed.
- Weather permitting, ski areas usually open from early December to early May.