What to Take
- Decent walking shoes, for traipsing around dusty cities, hiking and national parks.
- A hat for the sun – you'll spend lots of time outside, and the rays are strong.
- Sunscreen (for the same reason as above).
What to Wear
Burkina is hot and humid, so wear fabrics that breathe, and dry rapidly. Long trousers should be worn by both men and women: legs are highly sexualised in local culture, so covering your limbs shows respect (and will make your life easier). Long sleeves are useful as anti-mosquito protection – particularly important in the evenings.
- Make sure you have a valid passport and visa.
- Have a yellow fever vaccination and bring the 'yellow card' (certification) with you.
- Bring enough malaria prophylactics and plenty of tropical-strength insect repellent (50% Deet) – enough of both to cover your entire visit.
- Pack a two-person mosquito net.