Dangers & Annoyances
Bulgaria is no more dangerous than any other European country, but it is worthwhile being streetwise in larger cities.
- Parked cars, especially with foreign licence plates and/or rental-agency stickers, are targets for thieves. Never leave valuables inside your car.
- Watch out for pickpockets in markets and on buses, and be wary of gangs of young pickpockets in big cities.
- Bulgaria has very harsh drug laws. Don’t attempt to buy, sell, transport or use drugs.
- Taxi drivers at airports, train stations and beach resorts can overcharge outrageously.
- Changing money on the street is illegal, unnecessary and you risk extortionate rates.