Brunei dollar (B$)
Budget: Less than B$80
- Dorm bed: B$10–50
- Meals at food stalls or self-catering from markets: B$1–4
- Bus and water taxi: B$1–2 per trip
- Museums: All are free
- Air-con double room with bathroom: B$60–80
- Meals at all but the priciest of restaurants: B$5–15
- Taxis, boat tours, national park tours: B$10–40
Top end: More than B$160
- Room in top hotel: B$140–170
- Quality restaurant meal: B$10–20
- Fully guided sightseeing tours: B$40–90
Gentle haggling is common in markets; in all other instances you’re expected to pay the stated price.
ATMs widely available in BSB and larger towns. Credit cards usually accepted at top-end establishments. The Brunei dollar is tied to the Singapore dollar, which is used interchangeably here.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
Tipping is not practised much in Brunei, though rounding off the bill is always appreciated.