US dollar (US$)
Budget: Less than US$150
- Campsite or small guesthouse room: US$30–100
- Taxis: US$5–30
- Sandwiches and bakery items: US$10–20
- Double room in a hotel: US$150–250
- Lunch and dinner in local restaurants: US$25–75
- Rental car: US$70–90
- Half-day kayak rental or tour: US$40–50
Top end: More than US$350
- Fancy resort room: from US$300
- Three-course meal in a top restaurant: US$60–100
- Two-tank dive or day sail tour: US$120
Gentle haggling is common in markets. In all other instances, you're expected to pay the stated price.
Currency is the US dollar (US$). ATMs are in main towns on Tortola and Virgin Gorda, but not elsewhere. Credit cards accepted in most hotels and restaurants.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
- Dive/tour boat operators 15% of fee is reasonable.
- Hotels US$1 to US$2 per bag for bellhop; US$2 to US$5 per night for cleaning staff.
- Restaurants 15% to 20% of bill.
- Taxis 10% to 15% of fare.