Welcome to Nova Friburgo
In 1818, newly crowned Portuguese King Dom João VI started recruiting immigrants from Switzerland and Germany to come to his vast Brazilian territory. The first 30 families to arrive, from the Swiss canton of Friburg, immediately set out to create a perfect little village reminiscent of their home country in the mountains north of Rio. Traces of Swiss and German heritage remain in modern Friburgo, in the local architecture, the town’s passion for floral decoration and the fair-haired, blue-eyed features of some residents. Nowadays the local economy revolves around the lingerie industry, while tourism revolves around the region’s natural attractions: waterfalls, woods, trails, sunny mountain mornings and cool evenings.