Budget: Less than R$200
- Dorm bed: R$40–80
- Sandwich and drink in a juice bar: R$18–25
- Long-distance buses: around R$15–18 per hour of travel
- Standard double room in a hotel: R$160–300
- Dinner for two in a midrange restaurant: R$80–160
- Jungle trip: R$150–350 per day
- Admission to nightclubs and live-music venues: R$20–50
- One-way flight from Rio to Salvador/Iguaçu/Manaus: from R$470/500/550
Top end: More than R$400
- Boutique hotel: from R$500
- Upscale jungle lodges outside Manaus: R$600–1200 per night
- Dinner for two at top restaurants: R$200–500
A little bargaining for hotel rooms should become second nature. Before you agree to take a room, ask for a better price: ‘Tem desconto?’ (Is there a discount?) and ‘Pode fazer um melhor preço?’ (Can you give a better price?) are the phrases to use. There’s sometimes a discount for paying à vista (cash).
You should also bargain when shopping in markets. And if you’re about to ride in unmetered taxis, be sure to agree on the price before departing.
There's a Bradesco ATM on Av dos Arrecifes that accepts foreign cards, but it can be temperamental.