Customs Regulations

Travelers entering Brazil can bring in 2L of alcohol, 400 cigarettes and one personal computer, video camera and still camera. Newly purchased goods worth up to US$500 are permitted duty-free. Fruits, meat, fish and cheese products are not allowed.


Brazil has a reciprocal visa system, so if your home country requires Brazilian nationals to secure a visa, then you’ll need a visa to enter Brazil. US, Canadian and Australian citizens need visas, but UK, New Zealand, French and German citizens do not. You can check your status with the Brazilian embassy or consulate in your home country.

If you do need a visa, arrange it well in advance. Note that visas are not issued on arrival. Applying for a visa got easier in 2018 when Brazil rolled out its new e-visa system, which is available to US, Canadian, Australian and Japanese tourists and business travelers. The application fee is $40, plus an online service fee ($4.24).

To apply, visit the official website endorsed by Brazil's Ministry of Foreign Affairs: VFS Global ( You will need to upload a passport photograph and a scanned image of your passport bio page. E-visas are valid for two years, for stays of up to 90 days per year.

Once all documents have been submitted, processing time is around five business days. Unfortunately the online application process does not run very smoothly. Many applicants have had problems uploading photos, have had their photos rejected or have experienced website crashes.

After your visa has been approved, you will receive a pdf of your e-visa. Print this out and take it with you on your trip. Without the printed copy, you may not be allowed to board your flight and might be denied entry to the country.

Old-fashioned consular visas are also still available. These are pricier and you'll have to apply in person at a Brazilian consulate in your home country.

Applicants under 18 must also submit a notarized letter of authorization from a parent or legal guardian.

Entry & Exit Card

On entering Brazil, all tourists must fill out a cartão de entrada/saida (entry/exit card); immigration officials will keep half, you'll keep the other. Don’t lose this card! When you leave Brazil the second half of the card will be taken by immigration officials.