Budget: Less than R$200
- Dorm bed: R$40–80
- Sandwich and drink in a juice bar: R$18–25
- Long-distance buses: around R$15–18 per hour of travel
- Standard double room in a hotel: R$160–300
- Dinner for two in a midrange restaurant: R$80–160
- Jungle trip: R$150–350 per day
- Admission to nightclubs and live-music venues: R$20–50
- One-way flight from Rio to Salvador/Iguaçu/Manaus: from R$470/500/550
Top end: More than R$400
- Boutique hotel: from R$500
- Upscale jungle lodges outside Manaus: R$600–1200 per night
- Dinner for two at top restaurants: R$200–500
A little bargaining for hotel rooms should become second nature. Before you agree to take a room, ask for a better price: ‘Tem desconto?’ (Is there a discount?) and ‘Pode fazer um melhor preço?’ (Can you give a better price?) are the phrases to use. There’s sometimes a discount for paying à vista (cash).
You should also bargain when shopping in markets. And if you’re about to ride in unmetered taxis, be sure to agree on the price before departing.
The nearest foreign-friendly ATMs are in São Francisco de Paula and Praia Grande (SC).