There are very few volunteering opportunities in Botswana. The community and conservation projects that exist are usually small, focused grassroots projects that simply aren’t set up for drop-in volunteers. Another factor is that Botswana is a pretty well-organised, wealthy country and the need for volunteer projects simply doesn’t exist, with the exception of NGOs working with HIV/AIDS sufferers.
Specific volunteering opportunities within Botswana at the time of writing:
- Frontier Conservation Expeditions (www.frontier.ac.uk) Teaching and wildlife conservation.
- Project Trust (www.projecttrust.org.uk) School teaching near Maun.
The following international organisations are good places to start gathering information on volunteering, although they won’t necessarily always have projects on the go in Botswana.
- Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service (http://ccivs.org)
- Earthwatch (www.earthwatch.org)
- Idealist (www.idealist.org)
- International Volunteer Programs Association (www.volunteerinternational.org)
- Peace Corps (www.peacecorps.gov)
- Step Together Volunteering (www.step-together.org.uk)
- Worldwide Experience (www.worldwideexperience.com)