When to Go
High Season (Jun or Jul–Oct)
- Peak rates and low availability for lodges across the north.
- Warm days and mild nights, but October can be oppressively hot.
- Extremely cold nights in the Kalahari, where it's low season.
- Campsites booked out months in advance.
Shoulder (Apr, May & Nov)
- May nights can be cold, but otherwise a lovely, cheaper time to visit.
- Rains sometimes last into April and some trails still waterlogged.
- Water levels in the delta unpredictable at this time.
Low Season (Dec–Mar)
- Cheaper rates and high availability, except over Christmas/New Year.
- Rains can disrupt travel, making off-road driving difficult.
- Zebra migration in the Makgadikgadi Pans and migratory birds elsewhere.
- High season in the Kalahari.