Bonaire is an extremely friendly, mostly informal place, with just a few guidelines to keep things pleasant:
- Always greet people upon arrival. Bon dia (good morning) or bon nochi (good evening) is perfect, though English is fine too.
- 'Island time' allows a 15- or 20-minute leeway for appointments.
- Bathing suits are for the beach or pool. Anywhere else, it's polite to don a cover-up or other proper clothing.
- Topless sunbathing is generally frowned upon, but tolerated at 'tourist' beaches. Sorobon Resort no longer caters to a naturist clientele, and nude sunbathing is prohibited throughout the island.
- Don't forget to tip your servers (15% to 20%) unless a service charge is included in your bill. Tour guides, taxi drivers and housekeeping staff also appreciate tips.