Chapacos, people from Tarija, have close cultural connections to Argentina. This isn't surprising, considering the region was part of Argentina until 1825.
- Most follow River Plate and Boca Juniors, Argentinian football teams.
- Many have family in Salta or elsewhere in northern Argentina or Buenos Aires.
- People drink mate like Argentinians.
- 'Che,' an Argentinian colloquialism meaning 'hey' or 'buddy' is commonly heard.
- Siestas are religiously followed.
- Music and dance resemble Argentinian folkloric traditions.
- And, of course, wine is a popular drink.