Lonely Planet Writer
76-Second Travel Show: 'US$10 luge lessons'
If you want to luge, here are some places to try it:
- Winterberg, Germany. The bobsled track (78 euro) has some luging too.
- St Moritz, Switzerland. This is, some say, the birthplace of luge, and the first track ever turns 125 this week. Five runs with lessons runs about US$560.
- Lake Placid, New York. They open to luge only once a year -- on Christmas of all days -- but USA Luge 'tours' northeastern ski resorts to introduce luge to skiiers. It's at Patterson, New York, on February 27 and 28.
- Park City, Utah. All of Wasatch Luge's beginner courses are full for the season, sadly.
- Calgary, Canada. Former Olympic site has luge options.
- Upper Peninsula Luge Club, Negaunee, Michigan. This is it, beginners. A natural ice track, lessons, a luge to use, access to a LIGHTED natural track -- all for just $10. Say hi to Fred Anderson (below) for me when you get there.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter
Get more travel inspiration, tips and exclusive offers sent straight to your inbox