Introduction

Straddling the Meuse River between Namur and Liège, Huy (pronounced ‘wee’), was one of northern Europe’s first chartered cities (1066) and later became a major metallurgical centre within the Prince-Bishopric of Liège. The outskirts can be off-putting but the centre retains a small, delightful warren of medieval cobbled lanes around a pretty little Grand Place. Towering above its superb if outwardly austere church is the gloomy 19th-century fort in whose dungeons PG Wodehouse was held prisoner by WWII Nazis in 1940.