Business hours vary across the region, changing by season and arbitrarily at will. As a rough guide:
- Saturday and Sunday are official days off (even in predominantly Muslim areas), although only banks and offices close; many shops, restaurants and cafes are open every day.
- Banks and offices are usually open from 9am to 5am, Monday to Friday with an hour or two off over lunch. Some may be open on Saturday mornings.
- Shops stay upon until 7pm or later in busier areas.
- During the hot months, some businesses close for two or three hours over lunch, reopening at 3pm or 4pm and staying open into the evening.
- In Islamic areas, note that the working day is shorter during the holy month of Ramadan.