Hofpavillon Hietzing

Landmark in Schloss Schönbrunn & Around

Built between 1898 and 1899 by Otto Wagner as part of Vienna's new Stadtbahn (metro) system, and recently restored to its former glory, the Hofpavillon Hietzing was a private station for the imperial court. Its white facade, decorated with wrought ironwork, is easily spotted just east of the U4 Hietzing stop.

The wood-panelled interior was designed by Wagner in conjunction with Josef Olbrich; its opulent art nouveau style was signature Wagner and greatly influenced much subsequent architectural design.


Advertisement