• EU, EEA and Swiss nationals may work in Austria without a work permit or residency permit, though as intending residents they need to register with the police.
  • Non-EU nationals need both a work permit and a residency permit, and will find it pretty hard to get either unless they qualify for a Red-White-Red Card, which is aimed at attracting highly skilled workers. Your employer in Austria must apply for your work permit. You must apply for your residency permit via the Austrian embassy in your home country.
  • Teaching is a popular field for expats; look under ‘Sprachschulen’ in the Gelbe Seiten (yellow pages) for a list of schools. In professions outside of that and barkeeping, you’ll struggle to find employment if you don’t speak German.

Some useful job websites:

Arbeitsmarktservice Österreich ( Austria’s Labour Office

Monster (

StepStone ( Directed towards professionals.

Virtual Vienna Net ( Aimed at expats, with a variety of jobs, including UN listings.