When to Go
High Season (Apr–Oct)
- High season peaks from July to August.
- In lake areas, the peak is June to September.
- Prices rise over Christmas and Easter.
- Salzburg is busiest in July and August for the Salzburg Festival.
Shoulder (late Mar–May & late Sep–Oct)
- The weather’s changeable, the lakes are chilly and the hiking’s excellent.
- Sights are open and less crowded.
Low Season (Nov–Mar)
- Many sights are closed at this time of year.
- There’s a cultural focus in Vienna and the regional capitals.
- Ski resorts open from mid-December.
- High season for skiing is mid-December to March.