Travel with Children
With its parks, playgrounds and great outdoors, Austria has plenty to keep kids amused.
- Regional tourist offices often produce brochures aimed directly at families.
- Museums, parks and theatres often have programs for children over the summer holiday periods, and local councils occasionally put on special children's events and festivals.
- Many lakes have a supervised beach area, with children's splash areas and slides and games for little ones.
- Family walks ranging from gentle to challenging abound, even in high Alpine terrain.
- Many museums in Vienna are free for those under 18 or 19 years.
For helpful travelling tips, pick up a copy of Lonely Planet’s Travel with Children.
Facilities Facilities for travellers with kids are good. Some museums (especially in Vienna) have a children’s play area; restaurants have high chairs; and many hotels have rooms that are connected by a door, making them especially suitable for families. In most hotels and pensions, children under 12 years receive substantial discounts, depending on exact age. Midrange and better hotels have cots (but book ahead). Family- or child-friendly hotels are highlighted in our listings.
Restaurants Most midrange restaurants have a child’s menu or will prepare smaller portions for children if you ask. A few have a play area.
Travelling with Babies In bigger cities, breastfeeding in public won’t cause eyelids to bat. Everything you need for babies, such as formula and disposable nappies (diapers), is widely available (in Drogerien, or drug stores). Nappy-changing facilities are commonly available in major restaurants, hotels and train stations.
Getting Around with Kids Rental car companies can arrange safety seats. Newer public transport, such as trams and buses in Vienna, are easily accessible for buggies and prams, but the older models can prove a nightmare. Children under six years usually travel free on public transport, or half-price until 15 years of age.
Resources Log on to www.kinderhotels.at for information on child-friendly hotels throughout the country.