Embassy of Austria (www.austria.org) US-based website with current affairs and information.
Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/austria) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
Österreich Werbung (www.austria.info) National tourism authority.
Tiscover (www.tiscover.com) Information and accommodation booking.
- Explore towns and cities at night when they are beautifully illuminated and far more peaceful. Or consider an easy night hike on a forestry track for a totally different perspective.
- Choose a convenient city, small town or village as a regional hub and explore on day trips – public transport is efficient and inexpensive and it can save time and lugging bags.
- Austria isn’t just about randomly ticking off sights – factor in ample lazy time for simply lingering in coffee houses or Beisl (small tavern/restuarant) visits in Vienna and Salzburg between sights, or for sitting around in a park or square to soak up the 'feel' of the place.
- Book train tickets in advance online to save time and look out for discounted Sparschiene tickets, which can dramatically slash the cost of travel.
What to Take
- Hiking boots (with profile for snow), plus one pair of dress shoes
- Waterproof jacket (summer) or winter jacket
- Day pack
- Electrical adapter if needed
What to Wear
Winter can be cold and the ground icy, so several layers of warm clothing and good shoes are essential, along with gloves, scarf and a woollen cap or a hat. In summer, wear layers you can peel off and make sure you have something for occasional rain showers. Especially in larger cities, Austrians tend to dress up well in the evening or for good restaurants, but fashion jeans are fine even for upmarket clubs and restaurants if combined with a good shirt or blouse and a men’s sports coat (Sakko) or women’s summer jacket.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months from your arrival date
- Make sure you have a visa if you need one
- Arrange travel insurance, and medical insurance if needed
- Check credit/debit card can be used with ATMs internationally
- Make copies of all important documents and cards (store online or in hard copy)
- Turn off data roaming on mobile (cell) phone