Welcome to George Town
George Town stands sentinel on the Tamar River’s eastern shore, close to where it empties into Bass Strait. Originally the territory of the Leterremairrener or Port Douglas people, it was occupied by Europeans in 1804 as part of the British attempt to stave off settlement by the French, who had been reconnoitering the area. It was the third British town established in the new colony after Sydney and Hobart. A number of buildings in the town centre date from the 1830s and 1840s, when George Town prospered as the port linking Tasmania with Victoria. Today it’s in the economic doldrums as a result of employment losses at the nearby Bell Bay Smelter and TEMCO steel plant. It's a rewarding stop for history buffs, though, and also has some pleasant beaches.