Budget: Less than $150
- Hostel dorm bed: $28–40
- Double room in a basic motel: $80–130
- Simple main meal: $10–15
- Short bus or tram ride: $4
- Double room in a motel, B&B or hotel: $130–250
- Brunch in a good cafe: $25–40
- Door charge at gig: $10–20
- Short taxi ride: $25
Top End: More than $300
- Double room in a top-end hotel: from $250
- Three-course meal in an upmarket restaurant: $100 per person
- Theatre tickets: from $50 per person
- Domestic flight between two main cities: from $100
Gentle haggling is fairly common in weekend markets and secondhand shops, but it's not the done thing in most shops, where prices are fixed. It's common practice to ask for a discount on expensive items when paying cash (not that you're guaranteed to get one). In most other instances you're expected to pay the stated price.
There are ATMs in Kingscote and Penneshaw.