Australian dollar (A$)
Budget: Less than $150
- Dorm bed: $27−38
- Double room in a pub/budget hotel: $100
- Budget pizza or pasta main course: $15
- City bus ride: $3
- Double room in a midrange hotel/motel: $100–200
- Main course with a glass of wine: $28
- Small-car hire per day: $35
- Short taxi ride: $25
Top end: More than $300
- Double room in a top-end hotel: from $200
- Main course with a glass of wine at a top-end restaurant: $45
- 4WD hire for excursions: from $100
Gentle haggling is fairly common in Darwin's markets and secondhand shops, but it's not the done thing in most Indigenous art centres, where prices are fixed. It's common practice to ask for a discount on expensive items when paying cash (not that you are guaranteed to get one). In most other instances you are expected to pay the stated price.
There are 24-hour ATMs dotted around the city centre, and exchange bureaux on Mitchell St.