Travel with Children
Canberra is a family-friendly city, with plenty of space to roam and no huge crowds. Kids like Canberra because there's stacks of cool stuff for them to do. Most of the museums and galleries have kids' programs, and many offer dedicated tours and events for little people – check websites for details.
The ultimate family activity, this excellent science museum has stacks of hands-on activities to keep little minds entertained.
- National Gallery of Australia
The dedicated play space on the ground floor of the gallery offers changing installations by Australian artists with craft activities and other fun things especially designed for small hands. The sculpture garden is also a great place to get some of the wiggles out.
- National Museum of Australia
Download the museum Kspace app before your visit to take advantage of the Kspace Augmented Reality Trail, which helps kids explore the galleries via an interactive adventure game.
- National Zoo & Aquarium
As well as spotting cheetahs, lions, tigers and rhinos, kids can let off steam at the newly opened zoo adventure playground.
- National Arboretum
Kids will love the tree-themed Pod Playground here, with cubbies made of giant acorns, swings shaped like nests and banksia pods to climb on.
Need to Know
- Accommodation Hotels are generally accommodating to small guests, and most can provide a cot if you ask. Serviced apartments are also a good choice for families.
- Transport Children under five travel free on public transport, while school-age children pay half the adult fare.
- Dining Many restaurants and cafes have children's menus, and kids are generally welcome everywhere.