Australian dollar ($)
Budget: Less than $150
- Dorm bed: $30
- Double room in a hostel: $80
- Cafe lunch: $15
- Local bus ticket: $2.50
- Double room in a hotel: $130
- Dinner in a local restaurant: $25
- Ferry to Fitzroy Island: $80
- Admission to aquarium: $40
Top End: More than $350
- Double room in a resort: $250
- Main meal at an upmarket restaurant: $35
- Liveaboard dive trip: $700
- Scenic reef flight: $200
Bargaining and haggling isn't really part of Australian culture. That said, there's a definite 'cash' culture in commerce here, where you might get a lower price on a purchase if you pay cash rather than use a credit card (thus relieving the vendor of some of their official tax obligations).
Major banks have branches with ATMs throughout Cairns. Most banks exchange foreign currency. There are private currency-exchange bureaux along the Esplanade that are open until late.
All businesses, from cafes to major tour operators and hotels, accept debit and credit cards as a matter of course.