Australian dollar (A$)
Budget: less than $150
- Dorm bed: $25−35
- Double room in pub/budget hotel: $80
- Budget pizza or pasta main course: up to $15
- Darwin bus ride: $3
- Double room in midrange hotel/motel: $100–200
- Main course with glass of wine in a midrange restaurant: up to $32
- Small-car hire per day: from $40
- Short taxi ride: $25
Top End: more than $250
- Double room in top-end hotel: from $200
- Main course with glass of wine in top-end restaurant: $45
- 4WD hire per day: from $100
Gentle haggling is fairly common in Darwin's markets and secondhand shops, but it's not the done thing in most Indigenous art centres, where prices are fixed. It's common practice to ask for a discount on expensive items when paying cash (not that you are guaranteed to get one). In most other instances you are expected to pay the stated price.
Major banks with ATMs, such as ANZ, Commonwealth, National Australia and Westpac, are located in and around Todd Mall in the town centre.