New in Travel: Lonely Planet launches 31 best experiences to try in 2016
Start planning your trip – Lonely Planet has released a new collection of the best new openings and attractions of 2016.
The free ebook, titled New in Travel, names 31 of the latest and most cutting-edge experience to try this year. The ebook is now in its second year, providing inspiration and information for travellers to pick their next destination. All the attractions featured have opened recently, or are scheduled to open this year, giving visitors a jump start on seeing the world’s best sites before the crowds arrive.
The experiences on the list include attractions for the adventurous, such as zip-lining Cuba’s Valle de Viñales, deep sea diving in Singapore, volcano climbing in Nicaragua or jetting across Japan in a new bullet train – or the artistic – like exploring indoor and outdoor art installations, openings and extensions, like London’s Tate Modern and the all-new Louvre Abu Dhabi.
Also among the tops picks are more solemn activities, like visiting Albania’s ghost island and Guadeloupe’s slavery museum – or the more silly activities, like a trip to a Mamma Mia! restaurant in Stockholm or a Dr Seuss Museum in Massachusetts.
Here are the top 10 New in Travel activities chosen by Lonely Planet:
1. Nicaragua: Climb Nicaragua’s tallest active volcano – Center for Extreme Tourism, Chinandega – October 2015
2. Japan: Zoom along northern Japan’s new bullet train route – Hokkaidō Shinkansen – Spring 2016
3. Rwanda: Spot newly introduced lions in the Akagera National Park – Early 2016
4. St Helena, British Territories: Be among the first to fly to St Helena – Mid-2016
5. United Arab Emirates: Be awed by the brand-new Louvre Abu Dhabi – 2016
6. Italy: Walk on water at The Floating Piers art installation on Lake Iseo – June 2016
7. Panama: Experience an even bigger Panama Canal with a $5 billion expansion – April 2016
8. Australia: See desert flowers in Australia’s spiritual heart at the Field of Light installation in Uluru - April 2016
9. USA: Scamper around the world’s first Dr Seuss Museum in Springfield, Massachusetts – June 2016
10. Indonesia: Luxuriate on Gili Meno’s island retreat, BASK – 2016