Brazil: infant boy bit venomous snake to death says doctor
A Brazilian boy who is only 17-months old, bit a venomous snake and killed it while he was playing in his family’s garden.
When his mother founded the boy, Jaine de Souza, who lives in Mostardas in Rio Grande do Sul state, with the snake in his mouth, she immediately called her husband, Lucier, to come to his aid.
The parents rushed their son and the jararaca pet viper to Sao Luiz hospital, according to the South African Sunday Times.
Initially the boy’s parents were convinced that the snake had been killed by the family’s pet dog but the doctor who examined Jaine was of the opinion that the toddler was responsible for the killing.
Dr Gilmar Carter explained that by biting the young jararaca close to its head, the boy had immobilized the viper which, in turn, prevented it from biting him.
The doctor felt that it was probably either a case of the child thinking the snake was a toy or an instinctive self-defence kicking in.
Although the boy was shaken, he had no other signs of stress.