The center of town is the beautiful, tree-filled Plaza Pringles, anchored on its eastern side by San Luis’ handsome 19th-century cathedral.
On the north side of Plaza Independencia is the provincial Casa de Gobierno (Government House). On the south side of the plaza, the Iglesia de Santo Domingo and its convent date from the 1930s, but reproduce the Moorish style of the 17th-century building they replaced.
Dominican friars at the mercado artesanal, next to Iglesia de Santo Domingo, sell gorgeous handmade wool rugs as well as ceramics, onyx crafts and weavings from elsewhere in the province.
Also stroll over to the lovely former train station for a look at its green corrugated-metal roofs and decorative ironwork dating from 1884.