Argentine peso (AR$)
Budget: Less than US$60
- Dorm bed: US$15–22
- Double room in good budget hotel: US$65
- Cheap main dish: under US$11
- Three-star hotel room: US$75–150
- Average main dish: US$10–16
- Four-hour bus ticket: US$30
Top End: More than US$200
- Five-star hotel room: US$165+
- Fine main dish: over US$17
- Taxi trip across town: US$12
Unlike many other South American countries, bargaining is generally not the norm in Argentina.
Calle España, at the corner of Plaza 9 de Julio, was the money changers' hangout when we last visited. You'll get a better deal with clean US$100 bills than with US$20 bills.