Chilecito's Cable Car
To enable the mining of gold, silver and copper from the Sierra de Famatina, a cable car was constructed that ran from Chilecito, at the end of the railway line, to La Mejicana, at an altitude of 4603m, more than 3.5km higher than Chilecito and nearly 40km away. With nine stations, a tunnel and 262 towers, the ambitious project was completed in 1904. Men and supplies were carried to the mine, operated by a British firm, in four hours. WWI put an end to it and the line started to decay, although local miners continued using it until the 1930s.