With this program Patagonia Hikes gives you the possibility of, in alone 3 days and with a moderate technical difficulty, to experience places in which few people have been, and to appreciate from Paso del Viento part of the South Patagonian Ice field, the Viedma Glacier and the Mariano Moreno Cord, all these unique places that are so hard to see in a different and easy way. You don’t need prior experience in mountaineering, but yes a good physical condition, since the ascent to the Paso del Viento presents a considerable ascent.
DÍA 1: EL CHALTÉN - LAGUNA TOROMeeting with the Guide in the morning; debrief about the details of the program and check of the gear. We ́ll start the trek at noon from El Chalten, and hike towards Laguna (lagoon) Toro, passing by the Pliegue Tumbado. Box Lunch and dinner. Duration: 6 hs Elevation: 700 mts.DAY 2: TORO CAMP - PASO DEL VIENTO – TORO CAMPAfter breakfast, and a 30-40 minutes of hiking, we will cross the Rio (river) Tunel, either by wading through the river or using a fixed cable and harnesses, this will depend on both, the conditions and the guides decision. We will continue the ascent towards Paso del Viento. The main part of the ascent is on trails, moraines and the Túnel Glacier. From here we will appreciate a part of the Patagonian Ice Field, the nascent of Glaciar Viedma, and Cerro Mariano Moreno amongst others. We finish our hike and head back to Toro Camp.All meals. Duration: 6-7 hs Elevation: 900 mts en ascent. 400 mts en descent.DÍA 3: TORO – EL CHALTÉNThe third day we will return through the Tunel river Valley, where we will be able to see with surprise the distant point where we were the previous day. We will pass through La Loma del Pliegue Tumbado, where we will be able to see the Lake Viedma and the Fitz Roy massif. Later we arrive to town to enjoy a deserved feast after the success of the excursion!Breakfast and Lunch. Duration: 6 hs.WEATHER IN PATAGONIA It ́s important to take into account that the weather in El Chalten is very unstable. This expedition counts with two extra days to improve the odds of success. Waiting, continuing, or suspending decision will be on our Mountain Guide criteria.