When to Go
High Season (Jan & Dec)
- Expect up to 20 hours of sunlight each day, and the main influx of Antarctic visitors.
- Days are the warmest the continent will see.
- Penguins hatch eggs and feed chicks; seabirds soar.
Shoulder (Feb, Mar & Nov)
- February to March is prime time for whale-watching, and penguin chicks are fledging.
- In November the ice breaks up and penguins court.
Low Season (Apr–Oct)
- Continuous sunrise and sunset bring fantastic skies, bracketing midwinter, when 24-hour darkness reigns.
- Winterovers find aurora australis, isolation and extreme temperatures.