Algerians put great emphasis on greetings and hospitality.
- Men shake hands with all other men they meet.
- Women shake hands with other women. In urban areas close female friends often air kiss in greeting.
- When a male foreign tourist is introduced to an Algerian woman, wait for her to initiate a handshake otherwise just say hello.
- An Algerian woman wouldn't normally shake hands with a strange Algerian man but for for female foreign tourists the situation is a bit less clear. It's best to use your own judgement as to whether to shake hands or stick with a polite hello.
- Algerians will frequently invite you to drink tea with them. In a cafe it's acceptable to have just one cup but in someone's house three cups is considered polite.