The Crusader Trail - Cathar Castles Walk
The Crusader Trail - Cathar Castles Walk information and booking
- Equipment Required
- Walking along ancient trails in the stunning Corbières region
- Exploring the ruins of Cathar castles and delving into the historical intrigue of the sect
- Experiencing interesting villages and towns enroute
- Enjoying excellent local cuisine and the warm hospitality of the guesthouses
Tour description provided by World Expeditions
On the borders of the Corbières region, where the Pyrenean chain begins, lies a network of secret trails leading to the mysterious Cathar castles. From the 12th to the 13th centuries, Catharism was entrenched in the region, a sect that shunned conventional Christianity and materialism. The Cathar crusade against the people of Languedoc (southern France) lasted for more than forty years and effectively ended the Cathar reign. Whilst many of the castles have since been destroyed or built over, there remains a few good examples including the castle at Puivert (green peak), Chateau de Troubadours. This week long walk follows ancient trails through forests, vineyards and orchards to the medieval castles. Whilst the intrigue of the region is the secrets of the Cathar sect, the stunning scenery and interesting villages makes this a richly rewarding experience for walkers and history buffs alike.
- 6 breakfasts, 6 dinners - continental breakfasts are served and usually consist of breads, jams, cheese, occasionally eggs and meats, coffee, tea and juices. dinner will consist of 2 to 3 courses which include regional specialties
- 2 nights accommodation in double or twin room in 2-3 star hotels with private facilities, 4 nights in guesthouses (gîte) with shared facilities
- Transfer of luggage from guesthouse/hotel to guesthouse/hotel - luggage should be limited to one bag weighing a maximum of 10kgs. excess luggage should be stored at your pre tour hotel.
- All internal transfers including the transfer on day 7 from foix to perpignan
- Maps, route information and tourist information (1 set per room booked).
- 7 day service hotline
- Day 1 Join Perpignan, walk to Duilhac-sous-Peyreperthuse or Rouffiac (3 or 4hrs)
- Day 2 Climb to Peyrepertuse castle and continue hike to Galamus Gorges & La Bastide (5hrs)
- Day 3 An impressive walk with excellent views enroute to Puylaurens Castle (6.5hrs)
- Day 4 Pass interesting villages enroute to Puivert Castle (Troubadour Castle) (4.5-6.5hrs)
- Day 5 Visit Montsegur Castle then walk to Roquefixade (5hrs)
- Day 6 Traverse a high ridge with stunning views to the small town of Foix (5.5hrs)
- Day 7 Trip concludes with return transfer to Perpignan