go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Working and volunteering


For volunteering opportunities within Wales, refer to the websites of Volunteering Wales (www.volunteering-wales.net) and the Wales Council for Voluntary Action (www.wcva.org.uk).


  • Although regulations could potentially change, at present most citizens of the European Economic Area can work in the UK.
  • Commonwealth citizens with a UK-born parent may have a 'right of abode' (including to work) in the UK.
  • Commonwealth citizens with a UK-born grandparent could qualify for a UK Ancestry visa, allowing them to work full-time for up to five years in the UK.
  • The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa allows citizens of certain countries (Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan), aged 18 to 30 and with £1890 in savings, to work for up to two years in the UK.

Want to Live & Work in Wales Teaching English? Partner Content

If you’d like to spend more time in Wales than a vacation allows, experiencing what it’s like to live and make a difference to the local community, it’s all possible by Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) with i-to-i TEFL. No previous teaching experience or local language knowledge is necessary. Get your free i-to-i TEFL e-book now to find out more about TEFL, what TEFL jobs are available and how it can get you exploring the globe...

Get your free TEFL e-book and find out how to start a new life in Wales