Housed in an 18th-century town house just across the road from the castle, this small, child-friendly museum covers Chepstow's...
St Mary's Priory Church
Elements of this venerable church, including the wonderful zigzag-patterned arches of its Romanesque doorway, date from the 11th...
Gate House & Port Wall
Once all of Chepstow was enclosed in fortifications, fastening it to the castle. The main street still passes through the original city...
Chepstow Male Voice Choir
Chepstow's equivalent of the cast of Glee (albeit a considerably older, exclusively male, much more Welsh version) rehearses twice a...
The Lime Tree handles the transition from cosy daytime cafe into trendy gastro bar seamlessly. The vastly varied menu stretches from...
Bridge St · interesting places nearby
Chepstow Castle information
Imposing Chepstow Castle perches atop a limestone cliff overhanging the river, guarding the main river crossing from England into South Wales. It is one of the oldest castles in Britain, with building commenced in 1067, less than a year after William the Conqueror invaded England. The impressive Great Tower dates from this time and includes bricks plundered from the nearby Roman town of Caerwent. It was extended over the centuries, resulting in a long, narrow complex snaking along the hill.
There are plenty of towers, battlements and wall walks to explore and lots of green space in between. Keep an eye out for the primitive latrines extending over the river and for the oldest surviving castle door in Europe, a massive wooden barrier dated to before 1190.
A cave in the cliff below the castle is one of many places where legend says King Arthur and his knights are napping until the day they're needed to save Britain.
Once the entire town was enclosed in fortifications, fastening it to the castle. Parts of the 13th-century Port Wall edge the west side of the town centre. You can see it from the Welsh St car park and near the train station. Chepstow's main street, High St, passes through the Gate House, the original city gate, which was restored in the 16th century.