Brecon Cathedral

sights / Religious

Lonely Planet review

Perched on a hill above the River Honddu, Brecon Cathedral was founded as part of a Benedictine monastery in 1093, though little remains of the Norman structure except the vividly carved font and parts of the nave. It's a lovely church and very visitor-friendly; seven information points provide information about key features.

At the western end of the nave, just inside the door, is a stone cresset (an ancient lighting device), the only one in Wales; the 30 cups were filled with oil and lit to illuminate dark corners or steps. To the north is the Harvard Chapel, the regimental chapel of the South Wales Borderers, draped with banners from the Zulu wars.

In the cathedral grounds is a Heritage Centre , cafe and gift shop housed in a restored 15th-century tithe barn. The cathedral hosts regular choral concerts.