Sights in Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
- Sort by:
Relatively modest-looking, St Mary's contains a remarkable treasury of aristocratic tombs within. It was founded at the same time as the castle (1087) as part of a Benedictine priory, but the present building dates mainly from the 14th century, with 15th- and 19th-century additions and alterations. In the northern transept is one of the most important medieval carvings in Europe – a monumental 15th-century wooden representation of the biblical figure of Jesse.
The priory's 13th century tithe barn has recently been restored and converted into an excellent heritage centre and a food hall focusing on locally sourced Welsh products.
Not much remains of Abergavenny Castle except for an impressive stretch of curtain wall on either side of the gatehouse on the northwest side. The castle keep, converted into a hunting lodge by the Victorians, now houses a small museum devoted to the history of the castle and the town.
On the western edge of town are the Sugar Loaf Vineyards, established in 1992 and producing around 12,000 bottles a year of award-winning Welsh wine. You can take a self-guided tour before sampling the goods at the café and gift shop.