As part of his mad dash toward modernization in the 1870s, Guzmán Blanco commissioned an ambitious, neoclassical seat of congress, the...
This leafy square is the nucleus of the old town. It's always alive with huddled groups of caraqueños engaged in conversation and...
Museo Sacro de Caracas
Set in a meticulously restored colonial building that stands upon the site of the old cathedral cemetery, this museum displays a modest...
Pasteleria Noyer Deli
This particularly appealing cafe-bakery near the Plaza Bolívar has fantastic apple strudel and other decadent treats.
Concejo Municipal information
Occupying half of Plaza Bolívar’s southern side, the city hall was erected by the Caracas bishops from 1641 to 1696 to house the Colegio Seminario de Santa Rosa de Lima. In 1725, the Real y Pontificia Universidad de Caracas, the province’s first university, was established here. Bolívar renamed it the Universidad Central de Venezuela, the moniker it keeps to this day, though it has moved to a vast campus outside the historic center. Today the building is the seat of the Municipal Council, but part of it is open to the public.