Khan’s Palace

Khan’s Palace information

Kokand (Qo‘qon) , Uzbekistan
Address
Street Istiklol 2
Telephone
+998 73 553 60 46
More information
http://museum.dinosoft.uz
Prices
admission 3000S, guided tours 6000S
Opening hours
9am-5pm
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Lonely Planet review

The Khan’s Palace, with seven courtyards and 114 rooms, was built in 1873, though its dazzling tiled exterior makes it look so perfect that you'd be forgiven for thinking it was as new as the modern park that surrounds it. Just three years after its completion, the tsar’s troops arrived, blew up its fortifications and abolished the khan’s job.

The Khan in question was Khudayar Khan, a cruel ruler who had previously been chummy with the Russians. Just two years after completing the palace, Khudayar was forced into exile by his own subjects, winding up under Russian protection in Orenburg. As his heirs quarrelled for the throne, the Russians moved in and snuffed out the khanate, in the process breaking a promise to eventually return Khudayar to the throne. The homesick khan later fled Orenburg and embarked on an epic odyssey through Central and South Asia before dying of disease near Herat.

Roughly half of the palace used to be taken up by the harem, which the Russians demolished in 1919. Khudayar’s 43 concubines would wait to be chosen as wife for the night – Islam allows only four wives so the khan kept a mullah at hand for a quick marriage ceremony (the marriage set up to last just one night).

Six courtyards remain and their 27 rooms collectively house the Kokand Regional Studies Museum, with displays of varying degrees of interest, and rudimentary signage in English.